Maitland Martial Arts Academy was opened October 10, 2016 and is owned and operated by Sensei Samantha Morante. Sensei Sam is a 1st Dan in Ken Sei Kan Karate, a 2nd Dan in Shotokan Karate, a 2nd Dan in KenSei Shoto-Ryu and has been involved in martial arts for over 20 years. She completed her 1st Dan Black Belt at just 16 years of age and since then has trained and taught in numerous styles including Goshin Ryu, Go Kan Ryu, Freestyle Karate, Shotokan karate and Traditional Japanese Karate.
Sam has also been competing for many years in Traditional Kata, Kumite and Traditional Weapons. She enjoys the extra challenge weapons training provides and her weapon of choice is the Sai.
Sensei Sam joined forces with her original Sensei, Shihan Michael Fardell of Mid Coast Martial Arts in 2019 and became an affiliate club of KenSei Shoto-Ryu. This has enabled the club to expand and grow and become the dynamic and exciting club it is today.
Achievements & qualifications:
- Member of International Sports Karate Association
- Level 1 Referee with ISKA
- Certificate IV Workplace Trainer & Assessor
- Current Provide First Aid Certificate
- Current Provide CPR Certificate
- Certificate III & Certificate IV Fitness Instructor
- Working with Children Check
- Police Check